Sunday, October 10, 2010

HCL...........Touching Heights(this time...) :P :P

While I was staring like a hungry dog at the girl sitting next to me in the Technical GD round, an overly dark complexioned girl came out with a pile of sheets in her hand and called out.....

"Group 6A......"

no one came out....

Kunal Gulati....

I Jumped and shouted.....ma'am I am Kunal Gulati,,,, but my group is 6D....not 6A!!!
Okay...she said......group 6D...can you please come out...
12 students came out with faces as innocent as newly born babies.
she started.....kunal gulati....come this side.......prateek rawal.....come this side......shruti aggarwal.....come.. ( okay...so her name is shruti....nice name....though it's one of the usual names...but at that point of time it was one of the prettiest names I heard in such a long time :P)

Rest all...you can leave......
and you three please wait there.....will call you for the HR interview in a while!!!

I was happy...ofcourse.....
she went to the other side and started dialing a number ...I went close....." hello papa...mera ek round clear ho gaya hai....ab next round hai....interview."

for all the parents...clearing just the first round is like their children have nailed it....lol

Congrats...I mummered in her ear......she smiled and replied back....same to you...

I went to the other side and sat, waiting for my turn to come up.....after a while...I saw her coming....she came and sat next to me........smiled.....
shruti.......
ohh....hi...I am kunal.....
from delhi???
yeah....and you???
faridabad
okay....
the usual talks started..........she needed the job........and I didn't.....I was there just to satisfy my ego.....
just then the same girl walked in.....come you all.....
we went upstairs for the interview.....the usual talks being in continuation.
the usual talks turned to personal talks......

she was the only daughter, didn't had a boyfriend, her dad was a businessman, he didn't wanted her to work, she wants to work, she came here in a chauffeur driven car......
and just when I was about to ask her number....... kunal gulati......came a voice....
I stood up.....she smiled and nodded.....called me inside the room....in her early 30's....she looked a little plump.....

Me- May I come in?
HR- yes please.
Me- Good morning mam(sure this time...it was morning indeed). I am kunal gulati.
HR- Good morning Kunal, How are you?
Me- I am good so far.
HR- haha...okay....hope you remain good after the interview also.
Me- Amen!!!!
HR- haha...okay kunal....shall we start?
Me- Ohh....we haven't started yet....I thought the interview is about to get over( ohh god....what if I didn't needed the job..... I must stay in my limits....I pulled myself back)
luckily..she was kind enough to take that as a joke.
HR- no...we have to start.
Me- okay.
HR- so kunal, tell me something about yourself(the same old question).
I started..
Me- mam I am kunal gulati......and the same blah blah...I am this....I am that....I can do this ...I can do that.( the usual boasting about myself lasted a long 8-10 mins)
HR- (browsing through my resume)...okay kunal you read books?
Me- yes mam...I do..
HR- since when?
Me- been a year....almost
HR- How did it started?
Me- a friend gifted me chetan bhagat book....since then I started liking reading....it's a good past time and also matches to my sense of humor.
HR- okay....so what all books have you read so far?
Me- started naming them......a long list continued......
HR- okay okay...seems you have read so many of them.
Me- Yeah!!!!
HR- okay kunal( looking into my resume) you seem to have performed really well in your academics...throughout...as you said also...... so.... what went wrong??
Me- what went wrong?? I Didn't get you mam?
HR- like it's been really late......since you have graduated... didn't you got the opportunities for job or were you not able to utilize them?
Me- Okay......first of all, the college in which I was didn't had a much established campus so that it could attract some companies.
HR- Okay...and?
Me- secondly, it was not that I didn't got the opportunities....I mean... please don't misunderstand me....I am not saying that small companies are not good....they're good......but if I would have went for those opportunities.....according to me, I guess....I would have grossly underestimated myself!!!! ( okay.....so my one liners have started......now I'm going to rock the interview...I was sure)
HR- ookay( a little astonished this time), you have written you write a blog also, what's it called?
Me- mam it's called "confessions of an overconfident fool"
HR- okay, so you are overconfident( a li'll glad this time)
Me- a bit
HR- kunal, as your previous answer depicts, dont you think your overconfidence lets you down sometimes?
Me- ummmmm....no mam.....in fact I let my overconfidence down many times( woo my god....this one was a bouncer)
HR- haha....okay so you are the one who's the culprit, not your confidence.
Me- hehe. (stupidly)
HR- what all do you write about?
Me- the experiences I've had so far, like the one is called the fat files , like how fat people are looked upon in the society as I am also fat. please don't mind mam( she was also fat......lol)
HR- no no...that's good.....okay kunal.....why do you want to join HCL?????
Me- ummmm....... mam I've heard that HCL is always Looking for smart engineers, and I believe that I am one of the smart Engineers who is graduating in the year 2010.....that's why....HCL!!! and by smart engineer I mean....smart engineer( pointing towards the brain) and not smart engineers (pointing towards the face) ( this one was awesome ....I mean.... how could I think of that answer....simply awesome.....lol)

HR- okay.....seems just like you....
Me- hehe
HR- kunal you have written you have interest in databases, but we here are looking for dot net professionals.
Me- mam I am coming with an open mind, I am ready to learn everything and anything that comes my way. (one more)
HR- as you mentioned you have born and brought up in delhi.....would you be comfortble if we post you somewhere outside?
Me- Location has never been a constraint mam, in fact it would be a new experience for me,,,,,,living away from my family ( sometimes I give stupid answers also)
HR- okay, Kunal you would be getting 12k per month in training and package of 3 there after....would that do?
Me- mam, as you know I am just fresher and starting my career, so at this point of time what matters is the learning....not the money....there is whole lot of life left for earning money.... learning is what I am eying for now. ( I will never change, once again...lol) and in fact " beggars are not choosers".... haha
HR- haha....okay kunal, it was nice talking to you, if you clear, you would be intimated through mail in 7 days.
Me- oh.....I wont get to know now?
HR- No.
Me- okay
HR- anything you want to ask?
Me- yes......your name?
HR- ohh....sorry..I am Neha....Neha Kapoor..(with a smile)
we shook hands
HR- anything else?
Me- can I get some hint to satisfy the impatient butterflies inside my stomach?
HR- hahaha.....no kunal....beyond our HR policies...you'll get to know in 7 days.
Me- haha...okay....have a nice day mam.
HR- yeah... you too....bye

I came out and exhaled whatever I had in my lungs....I looked for shruti...she was nowhere....maybe inside some interview room ....or ...left.
the answers I gave touched heights this time, they were way casual.

I went back home.

And As I say....I can let my overconfidence down......but my overconfidence never lets me down....... through through through!!!!! HCL calling ayyeee!!!!

6 comments:

  1. Hey Kunal! Awesome answers man! I like your 'On the feet thinking' skills. Keep coming up with posts regularly, i would like to read more and more and more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey!!! thnks!!!! really appreciate that!!!!! and i must say....u too write really well!!!! ;) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. simply amazinnng...like the way u put ur overconfidence down..hahha...lukin forward to read more of these cool blogs...:)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. d way u flaunted Ur overconfidence... superlike:))
    keep scribbling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome...mere smart engineer .....u knw hw to manipulate and make interviewer follow u

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome! u really acted smartly. great work dude!!

    ReplyDelete