Saturday, November 19, 2011

Of the November Rain!!!!

A fine Saturday evening in November and I was lazying around in my bed. There are times after a good day's sleep when you don't feel like getting out of bed, and then you do unusual things. I was trying to match the pace of the moving fan above with my eyes. Suddenly I hear a sound..... "tup". It startled me. and then again.. "tup...tup". The intensity of the voice was low....but gradually the frequency was getting higher. It was coming from the window. I suddenly woke myself up and leaned towards the window, drew the curtains and yesss.......it was rain drops falling over my AC that made the sound. Rain in November.... I don't know why...but it brought a little smile over my face. I could see through the glass window tiny droplets of water rolling down on the other side, I could see the cool breeze of air trying to move the trees along with it......and........I wanted to feel it.



I freed my bed from my weight and went to the door of the room that led to the balcony, went outside and saw a scene that was bound to be freeze framed. White smoke everywhere in the air. Milky white sky......there was still some light in the sky...till where my sight could reach. Crackling sound of tiny raindrops falling over the leaves of the trees. The sound of "husshhh" created by the chilly wind moving through the spaces between the leaves of the trees. I moved my hand out to feel the rain droplets....they were few now.....and frequency was less too but it was soothing. I then leaned a little forward with eyes closed and face upwards to have a few drops fell on my face. With water on my face and cold wind running over it...I could feel the nippiness all through my body.



I could never ever leave a scenario of such sort until either it vanishes away...or I wake up from my dream. So I stood there and kept relishing the cold November rain. I then hear a giggling sound amongst the transitory sound of wind. I looked out for the origin. couldn't locate. and then again I hear it. I could now locate a humanly figure right through the tree at the park in front of my house. I moved a little and now I could see her. yes....a girl smiling contentedly. sitting on the bench of the park, looking up in the sky..she held her hands outwards. maybe she too was enjoying the rain...and the cold waves. Although her image was still obscure to me but it seemed she was in her late twenties. wearing a long skirt till her feet and a full sleeved top there was not much portion of her body left where she would be feeling the rain droplets. the voice of her grin was so endearing that I could not restrain myself from struggling to have just a look of hers. she stood up suddenly and started moving towards the center of the park. Her hands still in an outward position, reaching out to collect the rain drops. until this point, all I could see was her back. She kept giggling...as if the rain drops were playing with her. She then took a complete round about where she was standing and that was the first time....I saw her face. Man.....that was one in a million face.....and one in a billion smile.....the light from the lamp post in the park completely reflected from her face...such was the lucidity of her face. One could easily live a lifetime looking at that smiling face. she was playing there with the rain like a kid.

Ankita betaa......come now...let's go.....it's raining...you'll get ill.....I heard a voice of a women standing at the entrance of the park. her mother maybe..

ohh c'mon Maa....let me be here.....these trees...this rain.....cold wind.....all this feels so beautiful....kuch nahi hoga mujhe...... for the first time I heard her sugary voice.

Nahi beta.....chalo....it's enough....thand lag jaaegi.....she insisted.


Ghosh no.....she started walking towards the gate of the park. But I need to see her more. I quickly went inside the room and slipped inside my floaters. went to the main door and pull opened it to go down.

Arrey beta....where are you going? ...enquired mom.

coming....

Arrey bata ke to jaa....

aake bataunga....took 3-4 steps down

kuch khaake to jaa

What?? I don't have the time even to tell you where I am going and kuch khaa ke jaau?? . these moms..... anyways I didn't replied to this one and rapidly went down to have a glimpse of the girl before her overtly cautious "Sardi lag jaaegi" Mom could take her home.

I reached on the street and rushed towards the park. she wasn't there anymore. I looked here and there...trying to find her.

arrey Sahib.....what are you looking for? you lost something? take this umbrella , you'll get wet...... came a guard of the block running towards me with an umbrella in his hand. (#C'mon...it's not raining that much)

arrey......ehhhhh....where did she go? there was a girl here abhi..... I asked him

Girl?? yaha to koi nahi tha Sahib....

Arrey bhaiyya thi na abhi ek ladki yaha park me......her mom called her......ehhhh.....kya naam liya tha.......haan....Ankita...


ohhh.....Ankita memsahib.....haan...her mom took her back home....she lives two blocks away.

I started moving towards the other block.

poor girl she is sahib.....she can't see......she is blind.

My steps froze. I looked back at the guard. Amidst the voice of the rain.....all I could hear......was my heart beat.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

SO Never Mind the Darkness
We Still Can Find a Way
Coz Nothing Lasts Forever
Even Cold November Rain.
......

2 comments:

  1. Sweet little story. Very well expressed. *Applause*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaafi acha hai..ab tu Black waala Bachhan sahib ban ja!

    ReplyDelete